Lemon Sage Short Bread
Author: Naomi Fraga adapted from Cookie and Kate
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt salt
- 2 tablespoona chopped fresh sage (I used Salvia clevelandii ‘Winifred Gilman’)
- 2 lemons zested
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered sugar, salt, sage and lemon zest. Pour in the olive oil and stir until it is incorporated.
- Transfer the dough to a 9 X 9 inch baking dish (I sprayed mine with vegetable oil). Use your fingers to squish the dough into an even layer. Prick the surface of the dough all over with a fork. Bake for about 45 min until the surface feels firm to the touch and is lightly golden around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let the pan cool for 20 minutes (no sooner and no later, 20 min is the right stage, or else it will be too soft or too hard). Then, using a very sharp knife, slice the shortbread into 8 even columns and 4 even rows. Let the cookies cool before removing them from the pan using a small spatula.